Re: jfw for the blind or visually impaired

  • From: <angel238@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:25:13 -0400

It doesn't hurt the student to learn to use Jaws, or to learn to do anything
using blindness skills, in my opinion, regardless his visual acuity.  I have
been blind for 60 years; and those with whom I went to school who had partial
sight while in school are totally blind now, or as nearly as makes no
difference.  It must be remembered we are educating the whole person, and
preparing him to live a successful life regardless his age.  I believe he
should be able to successfully transition and to adjust as his vision
deteriorates.  Should this not be the case would possessing these skills harm
the student?  I say no.  Because he will learn keyboarding skills which surpass
mouse computer navigation.  Not to mention causing him to be able to use the
computer better generally.  He will also learn the life lesson that things
others feel to be an essential such as a computers monitor can be done without
quite successfully.  It will also provide him with the confidence that he will
be capable should his vision further deteriorate.  So, based on what I just
maintained it wouldn't hurt sighted students to use screen readers as well
regardless their visual ability.  My dear mother use to take children off our
neighborhood street and attempt to teach them to touch type using an old typing
book for similar reasons.