Re: jfw for the blind or visually impaired

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 20:14:43 -0700

Hi,
You can talk all you want to about the degree of visual acuity below which the
learning of JAWS is warranted, but my take on it is this: if a person has some
useful vision but there's even a remote possibility that the vision will
deteriorate substantially, then JAWS should be seriously considered and
encouraged.  I've taught many blind and visually impaired people over the past
sixteen years, eight years or so in a classroom setting, and though some were
dragged kicking and screaming into learning JAWS, ultimately it was time well
spent.  One student of mine was likely to lose his vision because of diabetic
retinopathy, and it was a really safe bet that one day his eyes would "blow
out", to use his term, not mine.  He had a hell of a time buying into the idea
of using JAWS at all, but sure enough, one day he woke up and his vision was
completely gone.  No light perception, nada. He's since gone on to master JAWS,
Kurzweil 1000, the Braille Note Apex and all sorts of other assistive
technologies and he uses them to the fullest extent. Now he's director of a
training program for blind youths and is doing very well indeed.  I love
success stories like that.

Tom