Re: jfw for the blind or visually impaired

  • From: <angel238@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:58:42 -0400

Just a suggestion.  When teaching keyboard commands teach windows commands
first before teaching Jaws specific commands.  The reason being windows
keyboard commands will work on any computer regardless the screen reader.
Perhaps you could mention the use of a screen magnification program rather than
using Jaws.  If your students are expecting no further vision loss the virtual
buffer will confuse the student.  Because what is heard with the screen reader
will not match what is seen by instructors.  Mention to them that Jaws was
meant to be used most efficiently by the blind, and not by those with sight.
Perhaps you can demonstrate this point as well.  Perhaps the students might be
better served with a screen magnification program rather than a screen reader.