[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: Peter Moore <peter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:00:09 +1100

Erik,
    it depends on what you are trying to do. EasyInstall is similar in
concept to PackageBuilder which comes with the BeOS developer tools archive.

If you are talking about the Windows Update you mentioned, then i have to
disagree with you about that concept not being a part of OpenBeOS. For now
we'll call it "OpenBeOS Update".

If OpenBeOS Update is to deliver OpenBeOS core components then it should be
part of OpenBeOS.
This opens a can of worms (or a Pandora's Box, if you prefer :-) ) in that:

can we get OpenBeOS Update connecting to the repository and accurately
determining what has been updated so that it can download and install it a la
Software Valet.

EasyInstall might be a great app.....i haven't used it so i don't know, but i
have used PackageBuilder many many times and while it does have a few
failings, it IS IMO an excellent way of building a software installation
package which installs itself in the correct location (yes, if you allow it,
the user can over-ride the defaults....i tend not to allow it in most cases)

So you have to have to ask yourself what you are trying to do:
1) application updates, or
2) OpenBeOS updates.

This will give you your answers. Personally i am quite happy with
PackageBuilder for software installations.
For OS updates you will want that to be on the BeOS/OpenBeOS menu and
therefore it should be part of OpenBeOS.

Just my $AUD0.04 (approx value $USD0.02)
peter
Peter Moore
peter@xxxxxxxxx
http://beos.loved.com/
ICQ 926967 (old) 95022055 (new - Oct 18, 2000)