[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 19:43:19 -0500 (EST)

> > > From a user point of view, the Windows method is quite good - if we
> > > could use that approach but make it work we'd have a winner.

There are some good things about windows installers, but not all. Stuffing
things in the program menu willy nilly (and other places), over writing
dlls, is very bad. The pics are pretty and you only need to click, but I
like debians installer better.

Having a billion cds, or downloading .zip files which drop themselves into
seemingly random places also sucks in the windows world.

> > > The installers in Linux and QNX are way too complex for newbies,
> > > K.I.S.S, can you imagine your mother using it?

There are dpkg front ends for linux. You call it up and browse the
packages. It sucks it off the internet and installs it for you. I don't
think it can get easier than this.

Also, one click to an upgrade is good. I think that this is similar to
windows, though I don't see Office support yet, like they have in debian.
:)

> >SoftwareValet just plain sucks.   That's one thing which should NOT be
> >reproduced.  Perhaps a conversion tool to convert SV packages to a
> >better format would be nescessary, but again SV sucks!

I'm new. Tell me why this is bad? I haven't used it too much.

> >As much as I hate to say this, but I'd recommend RPM. RPM is GPL'ed so,
> >there is no problem with getting source etc., and lots of people use it.
> >I'm just don't seem to recall if it has been ported or not, or if it
> >"suffered" from mmap problems.

Why not dpkg? Have you ever been to rpm hell?

Fred Ollinger (follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
CCN sysadmin