[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "Matt Verran" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 14:03:14 +0000

Just a thought, we have plenty of devs, but is there a user panel to
make interface/styling/usability decisions for where it regards
'ordinary' users?

Most of you guys are pretty hardcore, so maybe we should have a panel
of people, possibly chaired by Helmar or someone to ensure that we
produce r5 in a user friendly package?

>Just want to agree with everything below.
>I am a complete techno dummy who was an avid beos fan.
>I really not understand half these posts but I extremely
>gratefull and want to show my full support to OBOS
>(and BeUnited and everyone else working in in the old Be seams).
>
>Anyway please remember  KISS (Keep it Simple) so
>that lowely ludites like myself will one day find OBOS a joy to use
>due to your excellent user friendly work.
>
>Zoe
>

>>User input again.... (bit more than 0.02 worth though)

>newbies,
>>>
> snip
>>
>>Ever tried to show your grandfather, mother, kid sister or brother
how
>>to use RPM's in Linux? As far as general users go, Linux things are
>too
>>involving for even the simplest process. To many buttons, to many
>>options and a really BAD interface that isn't intuitive.
>>
>>This internet install thing is also a PITA. Americans assume the rest
>>of the world has free unlimited fast internet - remember BeOS was a
>>worldwide hit. Can you imagine the use that internet installs are
>going
>>to be to a class full of kids in Mozambique on a 14.4k dial up?
People
>>worldwide were attracted to BeOS because it makes more of less, its
>>cheaper than MS, plus it gives a grounding in UNIX-style systems.
>>
>>So I would suggest:-
>>
>>1) Not having to load another app to install my application, it works
>>well having a central site like BeBits that holds apps, which people
>>download and install.
>>
>>2) When I install software, I want to double click it, and it
installs
>>- even if its just a bash script.
>>
>>3) The installer should have the minimum of options, buttons etc.
>Think
>>'click and go'
>>
>>4) Uninstall really should be implemented. As a prefs panel?
>>
>> If OpenBeOS is going to go anywhere you guys need to hold back on
the
>>cool geeky features a little. BeOS attracted people from the Mac
world
>>as well as the Windows world, not everyone is a console jockey.
>>
>>The Packages in BeOS are pretty good to install from a user point of
>>view, and I haven't found them particularly tricky to make (although
>>most Bebits software devs seem to have never seen the Packager app?
:)