[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: Steve Vallée <svallee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:06:55 -0800

> Windows works great for people who do the least w/ it. But I'm not here to
> flame windows so let's forget it.

ok  :-)

> So you mean pictures? Well, a well thought out package system can have any
> types of pretty interface on top. I only care about the underlying system.
> I guess we are talking past one another. I have said. Debian has some nice
> animations on top as well.

No I mean the whole mechanic. When you start the package manager, you get to
choose which repository to connect to. Typically either a CD (that come with
QNX) or the WWW (for the official up-to-date QNX repository), or simply the
one made by a third party.
Then you got a huge tree of every existing package you don't have. Just to
check-box every one you got, and press Go !  Everything is automatically
downloaded/copied and installed.  So once in a whiel you can just take a
look at the repository, and you see want's new.

I don't know if it's correctly explained, but the result is VERY good.  But
I don't know how work the package manager of Debian, tho. Is it the same
kind of mechanic ?

- Steve