[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 19:50:44 -0600

On Friday 18 January 2002 18:43, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
[snip]
> :
> > >SoftwareValet just plain sucks.   That's one thing which should NOT be
> > >reproduced.  Perhaps a conversion tool to convert SV packages to a
> > >better format would be nescessary, but again SV sucks!
>
> I'm new. Tell me why this is bad? I haven't used it too much.

1. Can't uninstall files
2. Can't get a listing of what was installed
3. Tries to be e-commerce portal
4. Has weird bugs like hanging trying to connect to port 8000
(I still haven't figured out why)
5. No inter-dependancy support AFAIK.

I think those are the most salient issues.

> > >As much as I hate to say this, but I'd recommend RPM. RPM is GPL'ed so,
> > >there is no problem with getting source etc., and lots of people use it.
> > >I'm just don't seem to recall if it has been ported or not, or if it
> > >"suffered" from mmap problems.
>
> Why not dpkg? Have you ever been to rpm hell?

Yeah, I have.  But,  I'd rather spend 10 minutes in RPM hell than install
packages blindly.  Also, upon further recollection, there was a port
of RPM on GeekGadgets, but I can't seem to find it right now (GeekGadgets
site doesn't appear to be responding or it's just my lack of bandwidth
rearing its ugly head again.)

I've downloaded most of the package tools that are listed on Freshmeat.
I'm playing with them right now to see which ones compile on BeOS R5
out of the box.   My hunch right now is that "encap/epkg" would be
the simplist to implement.... More to follow.

--
timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxxx