[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "John Gabriele" <jandl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 21:33:18 EST

SV wrote:
> Weird.  Never got any conflict with Install Shield (I don't understand how
> it can happen), and found the uninstall process very clean under windows.

Trouble is, when you uninstall stuff on Windows, you never really
know what the system is actually doing. What dll's is it deleting from
c:/winnt/system32? What changes is it making to the mysterious (to
me anyway) registry? Where are the log files so I can see what it did?

Besides that stuff, the Windows uninstaller fails sometimes (like if you
delete the app without using the Add/Remove Programs uninstaller)
and then app names pile up in the Add/Remove window and you
can't get rid of them (I don't know how to anyway).

MV wrote:
> Un-installing is a bit tricky though. Can we not collect the install
> logs from package installs and reverse then in an uninstall app?

Trouble is, consider this: you install app_a, it copies libFoo.so to your
~/config/lib. Then, later, you install app_b that also uses (and comes
with) libFoo.so.

The troubles that arise are:

//=Should the app_b installation process copy over the libFoo.so
     that was installed during the app_a install?
//=Once both apps are installed, you go to remove one of them.
     If libFoo.so gets deleted, the other app will no longer work.
     How do you keep track of whether a given app (that is getting
     uninstalled) is the last one using a given lib?

These are issues that are (maybe?) being handled by the
Preference Apps team. Perhaps Geoffrey Longo could shed some
light on what will be implemented (or if his team is the one
implementing it :).

Hmm... /me thinks that this is a pretty old thread...