[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 09:38:40 -0600

> But a question remain. Why so many people flamed Be Inc to include
> the
> network stuff (BONE) inside the kernel itself, if that kernel was
> monolithic
> anyway ?  I'm a bit confuse here. Someone can put a light on this for
> me ?

The definitions don't really apply. I would argue it to be a pseudo-
microkernel. It certainly isn't monolithic, but it's not a microkernel
either. It's somewhere in between. Given modules, etc. it is much
closer to a microkernel in design philosophy than to monolithic, hence
the row about BONE.
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Philadelphia is not dull -- it just seems so because it is next to
exciting Camden, New Jersey.