[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "Matt Verran" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:46:21 +0000

Guys and gals,

The point of all this is :-

Q:      why should a user have to open an extra program to install an app?

A:      they shouldn't, I don't care how good package manager X is, if I
have to open it first then its a serious usability flaw/bug. The
installer/uninstaller itself should take care of dependencies through
whatever package manager and that is the only improvement I see needed
on BeOS's current package system. Don't make BeOS a dumbass OS like the
others. Keep things slinky and groovy

But if we *really* do have to have a geeky package manager, let it be
the QNX one.... and thats as a last resort. I will leave BeOS if RPM
and the Linux 'Borg' mentality comes anywhere near it!

Sorry to rant, but you are overcomplicating issues....

Regards,
Matt

>> Windows works great for people who do the least w/ it. But I'm not
here to
>> flame windows so let's forget it.
>
>ok  :-)
>
>> So you mean pictures? Well, a well thought out package system can
have any
>> types of pretty interface on top. I only care about the underlying
system.
>> I guess we are talking past one another. I have said. Debian has
some nice
>> animations on top as well.
>
>No I mean the whole mechanic. When you start the package manager, you
get to
>choose which repository to connect to. Typically either a CD (that
come with
>QNX) or the WWW (for the official up-to-date QNX repository), or
simply the
>one made by a third party.
>Then you got a huge tree of every existing package you don't have.
Just to
>check-box every one you got, and press Go !  Everything is
automatically
>downloaded/copied and installed.  So once in a whiel you can just take
>look at the repository, and you see want's new.
>
>I don't know if it's correctly explained, but the result is VERY good.
But