[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Matt Verran" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:15:09 -0600

On Friday 18 January 2002 15:07, Matt Verran wrote:
> Just a bit of user input here....
>
> From a user point of view, the Windows method is quite good - if we
> could use that approach but make it work we'd have a winner.
>
> The installers in Linux and QNX are way too complex for newbies,
> K.I.S.S, can you imagine your mother using it?
>
> Regards,
> Matt

SoftwareValet just plain sucks.   That's one thing which should NOT be
reproduced.  Perhaps a conversion tool to convert SV packages to a
better format would be nescessary, but again SV sucks!

As much as I hate to say this, but I'd recommend RPM. RPM is GPL'ed so,
there is no problem with getting source etc., and lots of people use it.
I'm just don't seem to recall if it has been ported or not, or if it
"suffered" from mmap problems.

        If not RPM, then there are large number of other systems out there
on freshmeat.net.

--
timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxxx