[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 14:58:57 -0500 (EST)

Fred Ollinger (follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
CCN sysadmin

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, [iso-8859-1] Steve Vallée wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, [iso-8859-1] Steve Vallée wrote:

> Weird.  Never got any conflict with Install Shield (I don't understand how
> it can happen), and found the uninstall process very clean under windows.

It happened during a .dll over right. Also, it doesn't erase all traces of
program. If you repeatedly install and uninstall a lot of things you will
have troubles. The registry can break and break everything. I have seen
this happen. Trust me.

Windows works great for people who do the least w/ it. But I'm not here to
flame windows so let's forget it.

If you get rid of some core
fuctionality, you will break other packages. Either you were smart enough
not to do this, or there was some functionality missing. Primary reason I
dumped mac os. Too little fun stuff you could do.

I like be b/c it thought to have things like a shell that I understand.

> Anyway, I found the Repository/Package system from QNX-RTP the best I've
> ever used. ultra easy for a user point-of-view.  Something I would like to
> see under OBOS.

So you mean pictures? Well, a well thought out package system can have any
types of pretty interface on top. I only care about the underlying system.
I guess we are talking past one another. I have said. Debian has some nice
animations on top as well.