[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "Erik Jakowatz" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 01:11:16 -0800

>If you are talking about the Windows Update you mentioned, then i have
>disagree with you about that concept not being a part of OpenBeOS. For
now
>we'll call it "OpenBeOS Update".

To quote myself (how often do you get to do that, eh?):

>>to their EasyInstall.  For OpenBeOS, however, I think we could
probably
>>get away with a made-for-purpose tool similar to OTUpdater (or
whatever
>>it's called).

I suppose this is a little vague, but in essence I agree with you: an
"OpenBeOS Update" utility should be provided by us as part of the
system.

>This opens a can of worms (or a Pandora's Box, if you prefer :-) ) in
that:

>can we get OpenBeOS Update connecting to the repository and accurately
>determining what has been updated so that it can download and install
it a la
>Software Valet.

Which is exactly why you won't see me volunteering to write it. ;)

Data is not information, and information is not knowledge: knowledge is
not understanding, and understanding is not wisdom.
        - Philip Adams