[gameprogrammer] Re: Linux for game programming

  • From: Adilson Oliveira <adilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:36:20 -0300

Kevin Jenkins wrote:
> I would like to install Linux under VMWare and am looking for a distro I can
> use for game programming.  I want something that will install automatically,
> run the first time with all my hardware (including 3d card), and come with
> an integrated, modern, GUI ide with breakpoints, watches, and everything
> else.  I would rather not use make files either.
>
> Any suggestions?

Well, my first suggestion is for you to collect a little more
information about linxu and it's possible options.
1) Any modern linux distro has a very good hardware detection but it's
impossible to be 100% sure any of them will work out of the box on your
hardware. You didn't even told us what is your hardware so how can we
have a clue? I usualy suggest to the linux newcomers to grab several
different linux distros a try for themselves. The one you liked more, is
the one you will use.
2) You said above you want to install linux on vmware so you will not
have 3D acceleration AFAIK.
3) You said you want a GUI but for what language? What is your target
interface? What about the backend? I could suggest Kylix and JEDI-SDL
for instance. It fullfils what you asked but do you dig pascal? SDL?
So, give us more info.

[]s

Adilson.