[gameprogrammer] Re: Linux for game programming

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:56:00 -0500

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 11:24, Kevin Jenkins wrote:
> I would like to install Linux under VMWare and am looking for a distro I can
> use for game programming.  I want something that will install automatically,
> run the first time with all my hardware (including 3d card), and come with
> an integrated, modern, GUI ide with breakpoints, watches, and everything
> else.  I would rather not use make files either.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hmmm, as much as I hate to say anything negative about Linux, your
choice of 3D card may make it impossible to achieve what you want. Many
of the 3D drivers are not open source and are therefore not included in
any distribution. If you are using ATI cards then there is a good chance
that you will get support out of the box, but you may have to install
the drivers if you want full support for the latest ATI cards. If you
are using NVidia then you will have to download and install a separate
driver for your card. There is an NVidia driver that will give you 2D
support in Linux, but not 3D support.

That is the sad state of things in the Linux world.

As for the IDE... well, I'm the wrong guy to ask. I use emacs and make
files even on Windows.

                Bob Pendleton

+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ blog:  www.Stonewolf.net             +