[gameprogrammer] Re: Linux for game programming

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:04:40 -0500

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 11:35, Kevin Jenkins wrote:
> When I installed RedHat before it didn't come with an integrated compiler
> other than command line gcc.  It also didn't fully work with any of my
> hardware except my keyboard.  Has that changed?

Linux is a process, not a point release. Every Monday morning I update
to the latest and greatest packages for my systems. Depending on what I
have installed I can wind up down loading nothing or I can wind up
downloading 100 megs. If you expect Linux to be like using Windows you
will be very surprised.

Everything changes.

Nothing is built in. Everything is an add on. All the IDEs you will find
will use gcc and gdm under the covers. There are many IDEs to choose
from. There are many development tools to choose from. Pick what suits
you. On all the distributions I have used there was an option to install
development tools. The generally includes two or three IDEs.

Fedora has good update tools. I switched from Redhat to Debian/testing
mostly because of apt-get and synaptic which are wonderful tools for
finding and installing packages.

                Bob Pendleton

+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ blog:  www.Stonewolf.net             +