[gameprogrammer] Re: Linux for game programming

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:58:13 -0500

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 13:10, Daniel Schlyder wrote:
> Bob Pendleton:
> > There is an NVidia driver that will give you 2D support in Linux, but not 3D
> > support.
>
> Hum. I could've sworn I got 3D acceleration after installing it. Maybe it
> depends on which card you have. (I have a GeForce 4 MX.)

My post was poorly worded, and I may be misinformed. There are 3D NVidia
drivers *for* Linux. I use them myself. OTOH, I have never seen a
distribution that included them because they are not open source. The
open source "nv" driver that I have seen included in distributions only
supports 2d. To the best of my knowledge you must download and install
the NVidia drivers your self. Not a big deal.

                Bob Pendleton

+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ blog:  www.Stonewolf.net             +
+ web:   www.GameProgrammer.com        +