[gameprogrammer] Re: Linux for game programming

  • From: "Jason Clark" <jclark@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:31:17 -0600

While it tends to be a religious discussion among Linux people, for
speed of use, I'd recommend Redhat. Just do the custom install and
choose to add all packages (worked on 9.0 and before, not sure about
Fedora), that will include development packages for SDL, GLUT, MySQL,
and on and on and on ....
It's big, but its got everything and other than the rare laptop it tends
to install fast and find hardware easily.
A lot of people like Debian or SuSe. SuSe I've found is more of a
network tool, and Debian tends to need a bunch of downloads right of the
bat, granted its not difficult, but still, I'm pretty lazy.

Cheers,
Jason.

---