[gameprogrammer] Re: Linux for game programming

  • From: "Jason Clark" <jclark@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:47:44 -0600

Depending on the version, yes the drivers have improved drastically with
each release (MonteVista can be thanked for many of them, but don't
install that!).
There are several problems with free Linux distributions, because its
free it can lag a little behind in driver development, because its made
for you to customize to do anything you want, it is bloated and may be
missing the things you want, until you add them.

If you find an IDE you like add it with rpm (rpm -i <mynewrpm>).
Sometimes you get lucky and its all already there. Good luck though, the
developers put together the pieces they like best for each distro.

A really good place, if you don't mind an occasional religious flame
war, is to post the same question onto your local Linux User's group
email board (Just google for lug and your city). They'll respond with
fervor and more opinions than you'll know what to do with :P

Jason

MySQL,
> > and on and on and on ....
> > It's big, but its got everything and other than the rare laptop it
tends
> > to install fast and find hardware easily.
> > A lot of people like Debian or SuSe. SuSe I've found is more of a
> > network tool, and Debian tends to need a bunch of downloads right of
the
> > bat, granted its not difficult, but still, I'm pretty lazy.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jason.

---