[bksvol-discuss] Re: reward for upgrading software

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:29:08 -0400

I upgraded from version 6 or something to version 8 when 8 came out and all I got offered is six months free membership to bookshare if I was not already a member. Since I already was a member, I got nothing. Was there an offer from k1000 to existing members of bookshare during the past three years? Please give me details and I will contact k1000.

The only thing militating against getting a lot of junk in the future by folks who do not pay attention to their submissions or use early versions of software is, as folks buy new systems they will get a new k1000. So at least new users will have newer scanning engines.

E.

At 12:33 AM 9/17/2005, you wrote:

Why is it that whenever someone takes the trouble to try to find out ways of improving the content of an entity such as BookShare we have this constant excuse-making justifying lower quality?
I don't understand it, and they're always the same rationales. Look, frankly, if people want to do better, they Will find the ways. The only way We have to ensure that they have a reason to make such an efort is to drop inferior work. If we don't do this, I, for one will be doing rescans and never get to what I want to read for myself. I assure you that that will not happen. That means, if I am at all typical, that unless we change, BS will be saddled with ever more amounts of crap, with a few wonderful people, of which I'm not one, chasing their tales redoing books in an ever-higher pile and BookShare paying out some fraction of money, which they probably do not have, to have these books improved.

----- Original Message ----- From: <mailto:curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sarah Van Oosterwijck To: <mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 11:30 PM Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: reward for upgrading software

Actually I got a month's free trial of bookshare when I upgraded Kurzweil a
couple versions ago.  The cost of upgrading, although very reasonable, is
far far higher than the cost of bookshare membership, so I can't imagine a
person being convinced by a free month unless they were already convinced
to upgrade.  I also think keeping up to date with your chosen scanning
software is a really good idea, but don't think it would necessarily and
automatically fix bad scans.  Using the updated software takes time as well
as money and some people either don't have it or aren't willing to spend
it.  Do you think you could also get people to buy better scanners and to
upgrade their computers that are too slow to run the new software?  While
we're at it, can anyone think of a scheme to get people to hire me to teach
them how to get good scans? LOL

Don't worry, although I don't think new software fixes everything, I would
encourage anyone asking for better results to do so, if for no other reason
than that it is much easier to convince oneself to learn something new than
to go back and pretend to start fresh with the learning process on
something out of date.  I also would say that often time is more valuable
than money so if you have the money save yourself and others the extra time
and work with the best software and hardware you can afford.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
<http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity>http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity

<mailto:bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx