[bksvol-discuss] Re: reward for upgrading software

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:19:32 -0400

People get possible credit for joining bookshare when they buy a copy of k1000 or sometimes for other reasons. Is there a difficulty with bookshare and k1000 co-operating so that if someone upgraded to the latest version of k1000 then, at the customer's request, bookshare could be notified and then customer could be given a month's credit? Noone would have to check your computer or in any way interact with you and your dog personally at your home. Instead, you would have to activate the bookshare request as part of your registration process for version upgrade. Since you have to register a new version anyhow, I imagine the nuts and bolts of doing this could be worked out between bookshare and k1000. The idea is to give those who do not upgrade much an incentive to upgrade and thus produce scans which are of higher quality. It is pretty easy to tell now which scans have been produced with software with no optimize feature. Optimized books usually get a rating better than 97.5 percent.

At 09:01 PM 9/16/2005, you wrote:

How could one varify what version of software they were using?  I could for
example say I was using k1k v10 where in theory I might have v8.  What is
Gestavo going to do, come to my house, and be the version police and check
my computer to see if I have the right version so he can give me a million
dollars in credit and in the process and as extra payment, square dance with
me and my dog?  Also, how do we know that a book's quality can be improved
only with the upgrading of said software.  For instance, if I'm readin g a
book, and Gestavo comes up to me and accidentally drops an ice cream cone on
my ook I've got open, kurzewil v13 won't help the scanning accuracy.  It's
true that an increase in software version could possibly help and make the
process quicker to validate, but in my opinion the way you scan something
either makes or breaks the scan, not the software version.

Just my 2 cents.

Ner