[bksvol-discuss] Re: reward for upgrading software

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:30:06 -0500

Actually I got a month's free trial of bookshare when I upgraded Kurzweil a couple versions ago. The cost of upgrading, although very reasonable, is far far higher than the cost of bookshare membership, so I can't imagine a person being convinced by a free month unless they were already convinced to upgrade. I also think keeping up to date with your chosen scanning software is a really good idea, but don't think it would necessarily and automatically fix bad scans. Using the updated software takes time as well as money and some people either don't have it or aren't willing to spend it. Do you think you could also get people to buy better scanners and to upgrade their computers that are too slow to run the new software? While we're at it, can anyone think of a scheme to get people to hire me to teach them how to get good scans? LOL

Don't worry, although I don't think new software fixes everything, I would encourage anyone asking for better results to do so, if for no other reason than that it is much easier to convince oneself to learn something new than to go back and pretend to start fresh with the learning process on something out of date. I also would say that often time is more valuable than money so if you have the money save yourself and others the extra time and work with the best software and hardware you can afford.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity