[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNE SUPPORT

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 02:55:09 -0500

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 00:22 -0500, Brian C. Murphy wrote:

> On December 9, 2008, Bastian said,"As for SSL and DPMI ... I have no idea
> what these acronyms stand for."
>
> SSL stands for Secure Sockety Layer and is supposed to prevent malefactors
> from screwing up on line commercial operations.
>
> As for DPMI, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain its functions
> and operations.
> Brian Murphy BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>                   Arachne at FreeLists
> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

I used DPMI when I set up and installed Lynx386, the DOS version of the
Lynx text browser.  Lynx386 can do https SSL sites.  I believe, but am
not certain, that DPMI must be used with a DOS browser in order to do
SSL.  The only things I know about how to set up and install DPMI so
that it can perform its functions come from information in the readme
files in the Lynx386 download package.

Sam Heywood