[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNE SUPPORT

  • From: Jason <jasorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 18:25:25 -0500

Eric S. Emerson wrote:

Sam E.,
                 If it's "quantum leaps" your looking
for then Arachne is not for you.  Stick with
M$'s latest or Linux.......they will give you
"quantum leaps" in size and bloat. Compare
the size of those other distributions of "fully
functional" software with Arachne. Arachne fits on one floppy. Add JS and SSL into it's
core and just guess how much Arachne
would increase in size ?? !!!
Would you also like a little Flash and Active X ??
A reasonable design would have those things be separate addons which you could elect to add in.
:-}}

Eric

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 17:15:26 -0500 (EST) "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
writes:

What I mean, guys, is that without people who can write code
in C, there will be no major improvement in Arachne. There is no
hope now of major improvement.

No hope of SSL or JS.

No hope of Arachne being fully capable of the ordinary functions
that most people expect of a web browser on a routine basis.

Sure, a few people will use it, play with it, adapt it to
various uses. But Arachne will be making no "quantum leap"
forward in the future.

Sad, but true.

On Sun, December 7, 2008 3:15 pm, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Folks,

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:54:38 -0500 (EST)
"Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

As much as we might all hate to admit it, we're going to have to
admit
it--without Glenn, Ray, Joe and the mere handful of others who
have
been part of the Arachne  "development mob" we have indeed reached
the end of the line.
Depends on what you mean by that. I am still getting Arachne to
do new
things and I am surely not the only one. Maybe the core is not
going
to see any more quantum leaps, but Arachne's capabilities don't
depend
ONLY on the core.

As Udo pointed out there hasn't been anything but bug fixes and
minor tweakings for years anyway.
  Which is still progress.

There is no money to hire anyone.
Got to agree with that. L.D. summed it all up pretty well all
round.
No volunteers to continue development work. Just a rag tag group
of 59
mostly swiftly
aging "dosasaurs"
   Sure.  :)      Oldies, but goodies !

End of the line.
   I am not so sure.   :)

I use DOS and Arachne every day in my business. And my brain is
not
dead.      Yet !
And I am sure I'm not the only one with an on-going interest. So,
in
spite of some of the postings to this list, I have confidence in
Arachne's
future.

   And it won't rely on hiring anyone.

Regards,
        Ron

--
Ron Clarke
AUSREG Consultancy      http://www.ausreg.com

Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

Click to lower your debt and consolidate your monthly expenses.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw2PBHVMPVI4itA4w5gPjevkjo766odroDf81XZxngSfkcnm8/