[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNE SUPPORT

  • From: "Eric S. Emerson" <wildrice5@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 08:12:05 -0800

Sam E.,
                 I find it hard to understand how you
can be using old hardware ie. 386 and not be
using any floppies. Unless, of course, you have
your computers networked someway.

It doesn't take any editing to grab & install APM's.
It's only necessary to have the download site
in your secure sites file. The rest is automatic.

BTW,  have you heard about the new virus on
the loose that is targeted at Firefox to grab
passwords and such??

Eric

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:39:41 -0500 (EST) "Sam Ewalt" <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
writes:

> [...]
> years, campaigned with Glenn to get Arachne GPL'd, followed
> development
> closely since the first ver .99 beta. Installed and used everyone of
> Michael Polak's releases. I'm just an ordinary user with old
> hardware.
>
> I switched to Firefox several years ago out of frustration.
>
> I'm sorry if this upsets the true believers, but I don't want to
> engage in the various work arounds, editing and so forth required
> to keep going with Arachne.
>
> Still use Arachne on an old 386 to send mail to a small mailing
> list I manage. But I use a web interface through Firefox to read my
> mail.
>

> I think it's too bad, but without active developers there's just not
> any hope of progress.
>
> Sorry,
>
> Sam Ewalt
>

> On Sun, December 7, 2008 9:20 pm, Eric S. Emerson wrote:
> > Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!
> >
> > Sam E.,
> >                  If it's "quantum leaps" your looking
> > for then Arachne is not for you.  Stick with
> > M$'s latest or Linux.......they will give you
> > "quantum leaps" in size and bloat. Compare
> > the size of those other distributions of "fully
> > functional" software with Arachne.  Arachne
> > fits on one floppy.  Add JS and SSL into it's
> > core and just guess how much Arachne
> > would increase in size ?? !!!
> >     Would you also like a little Flash and
> > Active X ??
> >
> > :-}}
> >
> > Eric
> >
> > On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 17:15:26 -0500 (EST) "Sam Ewalt"
> <ewalt@xxxxxxxx>
> > writes:
> >> Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!
> >>
> >> What I mean, guys, is that without people who can write code
> >> in C, there will be no major improvement in Arachne. There is no
> >> hope now of major improvement.
> >>
> >> No hope of SSL or JS.
> >>
> >> No hope of Arachne being fully capable of the ordinary functions
> >> that most people expect of a web browser on a routine basis.
> >>
> >> Sure, a few people will use it, play with it, adapt it to
> >> various uses. But Arachne will be making no "quantum leap"
> >> forward in the future.
> >>
> >> Sad, but true.

> >> admit
> >> have
> reached

> >> do new
> >> going
> >> depend

> all
> >> round.

> group
> >> of 59

> is
> >> not
> So,
> >> in
> >> Arachne's

> >>                   Arachne at FreeLists
> >> -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

> > Click to lower your debt and consolidate your monthly expenses.

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw2PBHVMPVI4itA4w5gPjevkj
o766odroDf81XZxngSfkcnm8/