[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNE SUPPORT

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 13:12:46 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 02:50:27 +0000, Udo Kuhnt wrote:

> to be honest, I have always hated that "but it fits on one floppy"
> argument. Somehow I think this is what might have kept Arachne from
> getting support for all those nice features that I desire, that we
> could already have them all if it wasn't for that damn "Arachne has to
> fit on one floppy disk" rule. At least let us make this an Extra High
> Density disk.

   I suspect that the "one floppy" thing is rather less important than
it once was.   :)

> And I will probably never understand why some people think that one
> needs a different OS just to have SSL and Javascript support in the
> browser. AFAIK, the specs for both SSL and JS are completely
> platform-independent.

   AFAIK you are right, they are OS-independant. I think it is the
16-bit code that makes it awkward.

>>    Would you also like a little Flash and
>> Active X ??

> Yes, why not? I don't know whether I need ActiveX, but I certainly
> would like to have Flash - after I get SSL and full CSS and JS
> support, that is. And I want to have all of this in DOS, not
> Microsmart Windoze or Loonix.

  Then, are you in a position to help develop Arachne in the way she
should go ?   I am not a C programmer, so I can only work around the
edges.

Regards,
        Ron

Ron Clarke