[arachne] INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNE SUPPORT

  • From: "Brian C. Murphy" <BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ARACHNE LIST <ARACHNE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 23:06:37 -0500

ATTENTION WIZ:  Could you give us a figure for the number of more or
less regular and frequent members the Arachne Freelist list has?  That
would be useful info in case we decide to hire a programmer or undertake
some other action that would require financial resources.

In the event the Arachne List chose to proceed with a major effort to
support both Arachne and dos itself, e.g. supplying the device drivers
for things like CD'S, DVD's, Iomega drives, and some of the other things
Microsoft's 1995 "kill DOS" operation deprived DOS users of, there is
probably a good chance the VDE email list, the TDE email list, and some
of the other DOS support groups might be interested in joining the
endeavour.

Did you know that the last DOS device driver created was the one that
runs LS120 drives.  When I bought my first LS120 drive about 1995, it
came with only DOS drivers until I read the riot act to the LS120
vendor, and threatened to return my LS120 drive to the retail store
where I bought it.  Two days later LS120 drivers arrived in my email.

Brian Murphy
BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx