[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNE SUPPORT

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:23:36 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 18:25:25 -0500, Jason <jasorn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A reasonable design would have those things be separate addons which you
> could elect to add in.
>> :-}}

   I would tend to agree with that.

   Adding full JS functionality to Arachne herself would make her too
fat to run under DOS.  So that's out !

   Adding SSL to Arachne may just be possible. However, it is beyond the
capability of any of US to do it. However, using a "helper" application
that is called by Arachne is the way to go. Some use Lynx, some use a
custom WGET, and I use Elinks - all called from within Arachne.

   As for JS, I can already grab some "Arachne-invisible" navigation
links from within JS-infested web pages using NEmedia.
http://www.ausreg.com/nemedia/
It wasn't exactly why I wrote it, but it comes as a bonus. There may be
other things that can be extracted from JS and given back to Arachne -
we'll have to wait and see.

   There are already so many things that enhance Arachne as "add-ons"
(APMs) that she is not too far different from many other browsers already,
 and no reason, that I can think of, that more couldn't be found or
written.

  End of the line ?????     Naahh !!!!!

Regards,
        Ron