[24hoursupport] Re: The Myth Of The 100-Year CD-Rom

  • From: chizotz@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:29:19 +0000

It doesn't have so much to do with the width of the tape as it does with the
length of the tape and the speed it is recorded at and the difference between
analog and digital.

Magnetic tape has (this is basic so don't hold me to specifics) a stripe down
one edge that contains timing ticks, and the rest of the tape width is used to
store the actual analog data, usually sound information. Stereo recorders
broke that area down into two stripes, one for each channel. Magnetic tape is
very, very thin and a whole bunch can be wound onto a relatively small reel.

Fresh magnetic tape has all of its lines of magnetic force aligned parallel to
the tape length. As the tape is passed over the recording heads, the heads use
an electromagnet to alter the shape of the magnetic lines of force on the
tape. If the tape is passed more slowly over the heads, the information stored
in the magnetic alterations is more densely packed. If the tape is passed over
the heads faster, the data is more spread out. Slower recording speeds can
cause playback to sound "mushy" because of errors caused by interference from
data stored nearby being read in error due to the more densely packed data.
When the data is recorded at a faster speed, that isn't as much of a problem
and the recording is of a higher quality when played back. Therefore, the same
reel of magnetic tape can hold various amounts of data when specified by the
time. This is the exact same concept as in VCRs with standard, long play, and
extended play. A standard 2-hour VHS tape can record 2 hours at standard speed
(highest quality and fastest speed), 4 hours at long play (lower quality,
slower speed) and 6 hours at extended play (lowest quality, slowest speed).
The VCR knows what speed a tape was recorded at by reading the time-tick
stripe. In any case, magnetic media is analog in nature because as the tape
passes over the heads there is a continuous changing signal.

CDs are a different animal entirely. Instead of a continuously changing
signal, a CD has a surface that contains a finite number of discrete areas
spaced regularly in rings around its circumference. Although you can't see
them with your Mark I eyeballs, the surface has "pits" in it in some of those
discrete areas. A laser shines on the disk surface as it rotates and is
reflected back into a sensor. The light reflects back differently when the
laser hits one of the pits than it does when it hits a non-pitted area.
Therefore, you have a digital signal -- one that is either on or off, yes or
no, and never anything in between. The specific pattern of on and off can
translate neatly into digital information that can be read by computers.
Increasing or decreasing the speed the disk rotates only allows more
information to be read faster, it doesn't change the density of the data
stored and it doesn't affect the quality of the playback. The only ways to
increase the actual amount of data stored on a CD is to either increase the
size of the disk to allow more information to be stored on it or to decrease
the size of the pits so more can fit on the disk. The smaller the pits get,
the more precise the engineering of the disks and the drives needs to be,
which is why we're seeing larger and larger optical disks now as the
technology is refined. Standard CDs can hold 640 megabytes (or something on
the order of 687 billion pits), while DVDs, which use the same basic
technology, can hold approximately 4 gigabytes (or something over 105 trillion
pits, if I've done my sums right). The new high def DVDs coming out soon will
be able to hold 30 to 50 gigabytes of data.

Gee, I hope my response isn't overkill :)

Ron