[24hoursupport] Re: The Myth Of The 100-Year CD-Rom

  • From: Madrachod@xxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 07:48:37 EST

In a message dated 2/8/2005 4:07:08 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The reason I asked what is an optical disk, is that I once saw what appeared
to be a glorified A: drive type diskette with some kind of optical feature to
it. This seems out of style now but it made me wonder whether it might be what
was talked about.
    The reason I was thinking that you were asking, because this question
also popped up in my mind, was that the site was talking about optical disc's
being better than cd's.  If cd's ARE optical discs, what the hell were they
talking about at the site?  How can optical disc's be better than cd's when
they're
the exact same thing?  "Don't use cd's anymore, use cd's!"
    Now, I have another question, maybe not so dumb, what's the difference
between a disc and a disk?  All my life, disc has been spelled, "disc", now
they're sometime's being spelled, "disk", but we're still talking about a flat
round thing.  Sure, the diskette isn't round, but the bit that the data gets
saved onto IS.  What's the difference?
    By the way, that diskette is made of the same stuff as magnetic tape.  It
can easily be erased the same way tapes can: by storing them near electronic
devices, especially those that have magnetic parts inside of them.  Things
like, t.v.s, computer monitors, computers, vcr's, tape decks, radios, clocks,
speakers, and probably things like benders, microwave ovens, and other
electronic
kitchen or workshop items.  Too many times I've seen people store their loved
recordings on, or near, these electronic items.  Either they don't know, or
they don't care.

                            Dale