[24hoursupport] Re: The Myth Of The 100-Year CD-Rom

  • From: Madrachod@xxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:17:24 EST

In a message dated 2/9/2005 5:05:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Sorry, you lost me, but you've definitely got my attention now.
What is DBX?

    DBX is a form of Dolby noise reduction.  Most things recorded in the past
15 to 20 years have used it.  Dolby A, B & C each progressively get rid of
more and more noise from a recording, not so much pops and scratches from
banged
up records, I can do that here on the puter, but it get's rid of (dare I say)
inherent noise produced by the recording deck or some other device.
    DBX goes a step further and actually gets rid of tape hiss itself!  A, B,
& C don't do that.  Tape hiss comes from the tape itself "scraping" away
across the heads on playback or record.  If you have a recorder that has DBX,
put
in a completely blank tape and play it through your stereo quite loud without
using the DBX function.  From the time you hit the play button you'll here a
hiss come through the speakers.  Now, turn on the DBX and listen to the hiss
vanish.
    To demonstrate where the noise comes from, just rub your fingers up and
down on your arm.  Hear that hiss?  That's basically the same thing you hear
when the tape crosses the heads.  That's what DBX gets rid of.
    However, now that today's stuff is mostly being recorded straight to
computer via programs like Pro Tools, there's no longer much of a need for DBX
because there's no tape being used.  It's just digital information now.

                            Dale