[24hoursupport] Re: The Myth Of The 100-Year CD-Rom

  • From: Ray <Ray2047@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:44:21 -0600

The original video CD disk wasn't a laser based digital disk. As I
recall CD stood for capacitance disk. An analog recording method based
on differences in capacitance (as in farads). There were two types. One
that came a little later. I can't remember which but one actually used a
needle like phonograph. I think it was the CD type. That one within a
year was replaced by the second type which I don't even remember the
details on. Then came the the Sears Roebuck video tape recorder that was
quickly killed by Betamax and those video disks were as good as dead.
This is all from a somewhat foggy memory so I could be wrong on some
details.