[24hoursupport] Re: The Myth Of The 100-Year CD-Rom

  • From: chizotz@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:50:55 +0000

As a quick follow up, the spelling "disc" is probably a variation of the word
discus, the heavy flat disk that is thrown in the Olympics. The original Greek
word that disk and discus derives from is diskos. Offhand, I don't know what
the spelling was changed from k to c for the word discus but I suspect it has
to do with the hard k sound being followed by a vowel or something.

Ron