[24hoursupport] Re: The Myth Of The 100-Year CD-Rom

  • From: 0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:44:26 -0600

LPs and analog magnetic recording media cannot get viruses.

Before we got our twin Sony cdrw units for a home recording studio
for my wife's 12-string guitar composing, we followed a friend's
well-intentioned advice and got a Marantz dual-well cassette
recorder. It has push-button motorized tape head engagement and is
ultra-high quality. I am glad we got it for the features it offers.

There is an inevitable slight background hiss that the analog but
computerized Marantz cassette deck cannot eliminate, which the CD
recorder is totally free of, giving a superior signal to noise
ratio from the CD recorder. I have wondered if there is an
electronic music processor that could eliminate this without
compromising signal, but don't know anyone who can tell me about
this and I can't afford to buy stuff just for experimentation.

A huge reel-to-reel unit will hold a mostrous amount of recording
time. It can take a long time to rewind one, whereas the cassette
deck is a pop-in/pop-out affair. I do wish I had the bucks for a
reel machine and a nice supply of reels. They had tube innards,
which sound 'warmer' but can be an expensive parts problem. I
heard the last reel manufacturer was quitting the business. Surely
someone will pick up where they left off. I recall the 1 mil tape
was best, whereas half a mil tended to be too thin for its own good.

That report about CDs going bad over time is a bit worrisome.
Possibly home-burned CDs would do that sooner than factory ones,
which are made with much more powerful lasers. Did someone say
cdrw's are more long-lasting or immune to this problem?

Oe6