[24hoursupport] Re: The Myth Of The 100-Year CD-Rom

  • From: Madrachod@xxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:35:22 EST

In a message dated 2/10/2005 3:56:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
0e60wq102@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Our favorite musical electronics supplier, American Musical Supply, phone rep
didn't know about DBX, and their tech support staff is out for training until
tomorrow, so I can call them back then and ask about this. He did say there
is a company called DBX that makes various units, but he didn't know anything
about reduction of tape hiss.
    I'm pretty sure you can actually buy a small, possibly single-space
rack-mount unit, that does nothing BUT put DBX into and out of action.  I just
bought a Tascam 4-track porta-studio about 2 years ago and it has DBX on it, so
it
can't be that out-dated that nothing comes equipped with it anymore.

If the tape player produces the hiss from friction, then it would produce it
on playback too?
    Yes.

Then I suppose the thing to do might be to get some kind of signal processor
that would go between the tape deck and the speakers, to process the noise out.
    I think that's basically what DBX is, but in most cases it's onboard of
whatever tape player/recorder you have.

I'll try AMS tech support tomorrow.

BTW, the Marantz has 'off-B-C' Dolby, but nothing called DBX. The Dolby
actually removes some of the finer signal highlights and deadens the sound
somewhat, so I never use it.
    I stopped using, too, years ago.  If you record with Dolby and playback
without it the tape sounds twice as noisy.

But if we can figure out what to get, and use it with the Marantz, I would be
all for it.
    Go for it, go with it, go to it, go nuts, go absolutely WILD!!!!

                            Dale