[24hoursupport] Re: The Myth Of The 100-Year CD-Rom

  • From: chizotz@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:42:32 +0000

Dale,

The glorified a:\ drive you saw was probably a hybrid floppy drive. For a
short while, there were disks and drives available that had both optical and
magnetic storage. The optical part, if I recall, was WORM (Write Once Read
Many), like current CD-R technology. The magnetic part was just like floppy
drive technology. The idea was basically that you could store some
data "permanently" and unalterably on the disk, while maintaining the
flexibility of also having storage on the disk that could be altered at will.
I may be incorrect in some particulars, I'm going by memory from many years
ago. As I recall, those drives were never very popular because while they
attempted to combine the best of both worlds they really ended up combining
the worst of both worlds, and the drives and disks were expensive to boot.

As far as "disc" v. "disk", the correct spelling is disk. Technically there is
no word "disc", it isn't a part of the English language. Spelling it with a c
instead of a k was basically just a way of setting computer "discs" apart from
other disks.

The original question about "optical disks" v. CD technology, I have no idea
what is being referred to as "optical disks". Optical disks are CD and DVD as
far as I know.

HTH,

Ron