[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: Tamara McClintic <maramick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CITW Listserv <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 19:47:03 -0700 (PDT)

The societal issue I chose to focus on was cookies.  Cookies are data files
stored on your hard drive by a lot of websites that you visit.  Usually you
can't make online purchases with cookies turned off.  They seem like old news
since we've been talking about them for many years, but I wanted to know more
about the most recent uses and /or problems with them. This was the site I
started at:  http://www.howstuffworks.com/cookie.htm

Something that made me really uncomfortable is that certain companies like
DoubleClick have the ability to load cookies on your machine that can track
what other sites you go to as well as the things that you search for.  You have
to actually click on one of  the banner ads they've created for the cookies to
load, but how do you know which is theirs?  You can read about it here:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cookie5.htm

Another good faq was:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=cookie.htm&url=http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq.htm

I guess it all comes down to how much privacy you want, or think that you can
actually get with cookies turned off!!

Tamara McClintic

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/