[citw150] Re: CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: M Snell <maslcc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 14:04:58 -0700 (PDT)

This site is really interesting...it's scary to think the type of organization
is needed but fortunatly it here for us!
-Monica

Brielle Ommen <bjommen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
L3 Q5
I chose to look at the societal issue of online abuse and stalking.  I visited
the website: http://www.haltabuse.org/  WHOA is a volunteer organization
founded in 1997 to fight online harassment through education of the general
public, education of law enforcement personnel, and empowerment of victims.
They have also formulated voluntary policies which encourage online communities
to adopt in order to create safe and welcoming environments for all internet
users.  It gave a statistics link that had some interesting info on it.  It
gave statistics on the age of victims, gender, marital status, race, offline
threats, location, reporting, prior contact, and the gender of the harassers.
It also gave the statistics on how many cases were actually reported to WHOA in
2000-2004.  There is currentl y a list on the website of laws, safety,
investigators and policies.  It was an all around good site to visit.

CITW150

Brielle Ommen

Yahoo! for Good

Yahoo! for Good