Re: [PCWorks] Should I re-install Windows XP?

  • From: David Grossman <dgrossman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:22:45 +0300

Here's where I stand.

I followed Hugh's advice. I deleted the System Restore points. For some
reason, that was enough to let me delete both printers, and I was then able
to uninstall various HP printer files in CPL Add or Remove Programs. It
would not uninstall all of the files.

I restarted the computer and set a new restore point (Clint, I didn't forget
Erunt, but I didn't install it yet).

I then re-installed the software. It takes FOREVER to install!

The fax setup remembered my previous settings. The fax setup test passed,
and the device printed out a report.

I clicked on Start Using the Device.. I received the following error message
from the Solution Center:
"Parsing error in the c:\Program Files\HP\digital
imaging\bin\hpqscloc\1033.xml."  I clicked OK. The next screen was entirely
blank. There wasn't even a title in the blue bar on top.

Another screen came up: "HP OfficeJet 5600 series ?????????????." Those
question marks are probably there because my Windows uses a non-Latin
alphabet. This message came back repeatedly.

I tested the printer. It works.

The HP Photosmart Essentials icon does not respond.

I tried to test the scanner. Several icons were installed, but none of them
seemed to activate the scanner.
I clicked on Scan on the device itself, and received the following error
message: "An unexpected internal error has occurred. Click OK to close the
program, and then try one of the following:
- Restart the program and then try again.
- Reinstall the photo and imaging software and try again."

Well, that doesn't look good. I'm not going to try any more things until I
consult with you guys.

David Grossman

> David Grossman wrote:
> > At what point do you stop fighting Windows and just re-install
> the system?
> >
> > I had a nice XP system on a Celeron computer with 256 MB
> memory. I installed
> > a cheapo HP 2180 all-in-one scanner-printer, and it worked
> beautifully. I
> > subsequently installed a cheapo HP5610 all-in-one
> fax-scanner-printer, and
> > the installation failed, apparently because of conflicts with
> the 2180. I
> > could not completely uninstall the 2180 printer from the computer, and I
> > couldn't delete the 5610 driver. The 5610 and the 2180 drivers were
> > apparently inextricably intertwined. I tried System Restore,
> going back one
> > date at a time, as far as it would go. It didn't help. (Doesn't System
> > Restore also undo printer drivers?)
> >
> > Now I can't use System Restore any more for any date at all. It
> won't let me
> > put back the system the way it was. My printer drivers are a mess. I'm
> > frustrated.
> >
> > Why can't the 5610 people at HP talk to the 2180 people, who
> are probably
> > located down the hall from each other? How could two HP products be
> > incompatible with each other?
> >
> > Everything else on the computer, such as MS Office and Adobe
> Acrobat, seem
> > to work OK. I do not have an Internet connection on that computer.
> >
> > I'm about to re-install Windows, but before I do that, I'd like
> to consult
> > with you. Would CCleaner help, or would it do more damage? Is
> there anything
> > else that might work?
> >
> > What would happen if I would delete the Registry? Would it
> re-create itself
> > in a vanilla version the next time I start up the computer?
> Could it cause
> > even more damage?
> >
> > Are there any other things I could try before re-installing Windows?
> >
> > David Grossman

Checked by AVG.
1:22 PM