Re: [PCWorks] Should I re-install Windows XP?

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 06:28:21 -0500

Only you can answer that. ;-)  It's whenever you get fed up
with the problems.  Each person will have their own limit.

After answering/following Hugh's advice, there could be an XP
Service involved.  Lexmark, and some HP printers, add a new XP
Service.  That Service may have to be running, or, may have to
be NOT running in order to install another printer.  You don't
say what kind of error you got when trying to install it, so
you need to post that.  It could be that the Service for the
previous printer was running and it may need to be stopped.  Or
like I said, it may need to be running to install a new
printer.  So try it both ways.

Also check to see that the "Print Spooler" Service is running.
It has to be running whenever a printer is installed, and
sometimes has to be running if one is removed.

If it's USB, make sure the USB port is enabled and active.

Otherwise you should have no problems.  I've installed numerous
printers on the same PC with no problems.

Regarding following the instructions fully, each printer can
have a different way it's installed.  Some CANNOT be connected
when the drivers/software is installed, they have to be
installed first.  Then the PC shut down and then the printer
connected.  Some require that the printer be connected, but
OFF, then turned on a specific time during the driver/software
install.  Still others require they be hooked up first, then
the driver/software installation.  So be sure it (they) are
being installed as required.

No, you DO NOT ever want to delete the registry.  You probably
couldn't do it anyway.

While XP's Restore should have worked, I always preach here
about how limited it is and how everyone should use ERUNT.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ .  It would
have worked for a Restore.  It's far more powerful and useful
over XP's own Restore.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com
http://www.ComputersCustomBuilt.com

From: "David Grossman"

At what point do you stop fighting Windows and just re-install
the system?

I had a nice XP system on a Celeron computer with 256 MB
memory. I installed
a cheapo HP 2180 all-in-one scanner-printer, and it worked
beautifully. I
subsequently installed a cheapo HP5610 all-in-one
fax-scanner-printer, and
the installation failed, apparently because of conflicts with
the 2180. I
could not completely uninstall the 2180 printer from the
computer, and I
couldn't delete the 5610 driver. The 5610 and the 2180 drivers
were
apparently inextricably intertwined. I tried System Restore,
going back one
date at a time, as far as it would go. It didn't help. (Doesn't
System
Restore also undo printer drivers?)

Now I can't use System Restore any more for any date at all. It
won't let me
put back the system the way it was. My printer drivers are a
mess. I'm
frustrated.

Why can't the 5610 people at HP talk to the 2180 people, who
are probably
located down the hall from each other? How could two HP
products be
incompatible with each other?

Everything else on the computer, such as MS Office and Adobe
Acrobat, seem
to work OK. I do not have an Internet connection on that
computer.

I'm about to re-install Windows, but before I do that, I'd like
to consult
with you. Would CCleaner help, or would it do more damage? Is
there anything
else that might work?

What would happen if I would delete the Registry? Would it
re-create itself
in a vanilla version the next time I start up the computer?
Could it cause
even more damage?

Are there any other things I could try before re-installing
Windows?

David Grossman