Re: [PCWorks] Should I re-install Windows XP?

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 07:57:01 -0500

Yeah you want to try and fix problems first before
reinstalling.  You'll lose some things after that.

I don't understand: "Sorry, but I didn't mark it down. I should
have."  You can't check it now?  Maybe you don't know
how......so, the quick way is just entering services.msc in the
Run command box.  Go through that list for anything that has
"HP" or "Hewlett....." in its description.  Then you can
experiment with starting & stopping them.  Same with the Print
Spooler Service which is there in the list.  They'll be shown
as "Started" next to them if they're running, or clicking any
of them will show the status at the left pane, and there you
can start/stop them as well.  You can double-click them to get
into the properties to also start/stop them and change the
automatic/manual/disable status.

You can also look at the Task Manager (right click the Taskbar
to see it, or ctrl-alt-del) and under "Processes" see a list of
what's running.  But most aren't familiar as I am with what
should be running. ;-)  You should be able to look at them to
see if "hp" or similar is in their names.  If you don't know,
just search the HD for the name, right click and look at the
Properties to see what they are.  The Print Spooler is
"spoolsv.exe" in the list.  Most have it running all the time
by default.

So looking at the rest of your emails, this looks like a
possible Service problem.  If not that, I don't know, unless
for some rare strange reason those particular printers can't
co-exist.  Which would not explain why the former one can't
work now or why the new one can't be uninstalled.  (I assume
this is what is happening?)  If this is the case, stop all of
the associated HP Services, then try to uninstall all the
drivers.  Like I said before, you also may have to START the HP
Services to remove all the drivers, and the Spooler may have to
be stopped, or, running.  Then try something like Driver
Cleaner.  I say "like" because it won't remove HP drivers.  But
I'm sure there's other driver cleaners out there that will
remove any driver.  You can also try and search your HD for
files created during the time you installed the new printer,
and files modified.  Look at each one to see if it's
proprietary to the OS, or if they are from HP.  If from HP,
delete those.  But only do that after you've tried to remove
the drivers and software.

Correct, ERUNT can't do anything for you NOW, but it can in the
FUTURE.  ;-)
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner