Re: [PCWorks] Should I re-install Windows XP?

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:18:25 -0500

Yeah that's for sure, it's getting worse and worse.  Many
brands do this.  Lexmark even adds their own sort of Spooler
Service that hijacks the PC.  Even if you uninstall ALL Lexmark
'ware and drivers, that Service STAYS behind and it has to be
on in order to print!

What I'd recommend is to always go with the "Custom" install,
choose what you want, AVOID all that BS like the "google
toolbar", "Ebay shortcut", "AOL", blah blah blah etc., and only
install the actual drivers, and software if you want to use it.
Or like Hugh said, avoid it and get what you need from the
manufacturer's website.  Most of the time the software is some
cheap free non-fully-functioning program, which can't compare
to even the free image editing/organizing programs available.
But on some occasions it can be good.  I happen to have the
5610 on one of my other PC's and it came with some actually
good OCR software that actually works.  Some software that came
with a Nikon digicam had some nice 'ware that could change any
image into an oil paint, illustration, or line drawing.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com