[opendtv] Re: Short answer to Bert

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 19:34:07 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:
 > Even with the LG 5th gen receiver that works minimally the long
term
 > viability of OTA is in doubt with 8-VSB IMO. Mobile and true
portable
 > has to be part of the toolkit if OTA will compete with all its
fixed and
 > mobile competitors.

You are gradually convincing me.  When I first joined this list I
considered mobile video to be uninteresting and unneeded.  But now
that it is shown to be economically feasible somehow I like it a
lot more.  (don't need it more, just like it)

Of course in the USA mobile video will have to be done by someone
other than the broadcasters and it will be like pulling teeth
every step of the way, as you seem to continually be finding out.

But eventually someone may stand up in the NAB and say they really
  would like to do mobile and not be soundly thrashed.  Or some
few may renounce their broadcastership and announce an intention
to do something else.

If all else fails I guess eventually mobile non-broadcasters will
be able to pick up broadcaster skeletons at fire sale prices some
day in the future.  Say when some of the networks announce they
will make their content available to mobile as contracts come up
for renewal.

- Tom