[opendtv] Re: Short answer to Bert

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 20:44:57 -0400

I'm not sure "free TV service" is forever a meaningful distinction.

If we assume that in the future TV services will be able to bill
conveniently than any service might have a mix of free and premium
services, much as cable now has a (mostly) free tier.  More costly
services might have to have fewer ad's or something else going for
them.  But it is not an all or nothing thing as Craig sometimes
demands.

And at least for the moment there seems to be a market for free
shows, though I probably couldn't predict if from analyzing most
of them individually.

About 15-20 years ago I remember buying my wife a more or less
cell phone sized battery operated NTSC TV so she could sit by the
swim club pool and watch her soaps.  Compelling content?

- Tom