[opendtv] Re: Short answer to Bert

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 18:40:06 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> I'm not sure "free TV service" is forever a meaningful
> distinction.

Agreed. The only reason I mentioned "free" was because we
already have a pay service to handheld appliances today.
It's called Vcast. So I was suggesting that even if Vcast
does not succeed, possibly the broadcasters could provide
a free equivalent that might work out. And possibly that
free equivalent would be so wildly successful as to
redefine (replace) FOTA TV as we know it.

But I seriously doubt that. So, I think, to state that
mobile service to handheld appliances is a must for the
future of DTT is to make a dramatic overstatement.

> About 15-20 years ago I remember buying my wife a more
> or less cell phone sized battery operated NTSC TV so
> she could sit by the swim club pool and watch her soaps.
> Compelling content?

Compelling is in the eyes of the beholder, naturally.
That would be an application for portable TV which, I
would submit, is a no brainer now, with ATSC. Even the
perennial doubters have now seen an LG prototype and a
no-name clone which offer solid reception in high
multipath, with simple loop antennas. That, coupled with
the long range capabilities inherent in single
(suppressed) carrier systems, says to me that portability
should be within easy reach. Battery operation? With
rechargeables, why not.