[opendtv] Re: Short answer to Bert

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 15:30:52 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> > Another possibility would be that this programming for
> > handheld devices on the move would be provided for free
> > from broadcasters. Or even that FOTA TV would reinvent
> > itself as a service designed specifically for such
> > handheld or otherwise mobile appliances.
>
> Why just hand held devices that are mobile?
> How about portability?

I thought I had covered that already. Portability is not an
issue. Any system that works indoors with a simple loop
antenna is certainly feasible to support "portability."

Not that I'm ruling out mobility. Just ruling out that
mobility was mandatory for the type of DTT we *know* can be
successful (as opposed to the type of DTV we *suspect*
might gain a following, maybe).

> What is more important, however, is that the DTV spectrum
> can deliver much more than just stories for fixed
> receivers. Some people are subscribing to Sirius and XM
> just for the traffic report service.

Around and around.

Spectrum is spectrum, Craig. Of course the TV spectrum can
also be applied to non-TV applications, or to new video
apps such as TV to handheld devices. We've covered that
many times. This was even true in analog-only days.

Turn off Channel 7 TV, modulate x FM stations in that band
instead, with traffic reports, weather reports, or whatever.
Or turn off Channel 7 HD daytime soap operas, and transmit
some "new and compelling" content to handheld receivers,
where the spectrum is now optimized for mobility instead
of quality. A no brainer, technically.

Even your supposed "spectrum utility" would have to worry
about what modulation to use for what services it is
carrying. These variables don't go away. For mobile apps,
the spectrum utility would have to provide a more robust
channel, at the price of more Hz needed for each b/s of
data stream. Big deal. None of this is hard to do
technically, and none of this invalidates ATSC. It might
add to ATSC without even having to become part of it.

The FCC *could*, in principle, make the TV bands dependent
on time of day, somewhat like the AM band has been. Or it
could in principle allow broadcasters to operate that way
on their own. Let them decide what type of service to
transmit at different times of day. Again, an orthogonal
discussion to matters relating to DTT.