[opendtv] Re: Short answer to Bert

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 19:35:09 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > The FCC *could*, in principle, make the TV bands dependent
 > on time of day, somewhat like the AM band has been. Or it
 > could in principle allow broadcasters to operate that way
 > on their own. Let them decide what type of service to
 > transmit at different times of day. Again, an orthogonal
 > discussion to matters relating to DTT.

Or more interesting, let's say that starting next year no analog
TV can be broadcast between midnight and 6:00 am.  The midnight
analog spectrum would be available on lease to other services that
were interested (PVR loading?).  Expand the morning time each year
by a couple hours until the full switchover criteria are met.
Then let's see who broadcasts whatever.

- Tom