[opendtv] Re: Short answer to Bert

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:29:47 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> You will eventually own a cell phone with a tv screen.
> It will become too cheap not to.

Absolutely. I already do, because that's what Verizon
provides. The question is, will I pay to receive the
Vcast service? Not me. We'll see how that goes.

Another possibility would be that this programming for
handheld devices on the move would be provided for free
from broadcasters. Or even that FOTA TV would reinvent
itself as a service designed specifically for such
handheld or otherwise mobile appliances.

We know that the Freeview model can succeed, but that
requires high spectral efficiency for as much choice as
possible, and is aimed primarily at stationary
receivers (story telling with pictures, not something
that can be consumed on the fly).

I think it's still very questionable whether (a) this
same FOTA content will be compelling to many people
when presented on handheld appliances, b) whether
on-the-fly video content can be so successful as to
replace the existing story-telling FOTA model entirely,
or (c) whether a smaller, parallel, mobile/handheld
video service is viable.

Both (a) or (b) would make the case that "without
mobility, DTT is a non-starter." Instead, (c) is not
quite as demanding, because it would depend on RF
channels optimized for mobility, while not impinging
on the RF channels optimized for lots of choice.

Myself, I find both (a) and (b) to be less than
credible.