[opendtv] Re: Short answer to Bert

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:57:11 -0400

John Willkie wrote:
 > Fox, with less effective distribution than any other network,
matches or
 > leads other networks with superior distribution.  It's the
content, dummy!

What is inefficient about Fox distribution?  They have realized
that most local affiliates do not plan on producing any original
HD and would rather not purchase an encoder at all.  So Fox sends
a suitable-for-broadcasting stream that can just be switched in,
avoiding re-encoding artifacts.  It makes sense to me.

 > Tom Barry has a clue here:  "R" rated programming.  I'd even
offer up "X"
 > and "higher" rated programming.   Either make it yourself, or
license from
 > better creators.

I don't know about you but people might be willing to pay NOT to
see me in X rated movies.  But I like the idea. ;-)

- Tom